Used to make joints for flooring, cabinet doors, tabletops, and wainscot paneling, tongue and groove router bits can be an important part of your workshop, especially if you do a lot of woodworking or furniture making. It’s important to make sure they are adjustable and made of either steel or carbide as well as the size you need for the projects you have planned. Here are a few tips and reviews to help you find the best tongue and groove router bits for your project needs.
Top 19 Best Tongue And Groove Router Bits
KOWOOD Tongue and Groove Set – Best Overall Tongue and Groove Set
Ideal for producing flawless Shaker rails as well as stiles for paneling, flooring, and cabinet doors, the KOWOOD Tongue and Groove Set is designed to lower and raise the cutter for the corresponding groove or tongue. This is a versatile bit set that works well with particleboard, MDF, and woods.
Operating like a reversible glue joint, the KOWOOD Tongue and Groove Set is carbide tipped, stable, and has less vibration during use. You can adjust the gap in between Groove with fine adjustment shims that come with the set. You can also adjust the fit using the tongue when you are using a veneer product, hardwood, or undersized plywood.
Featuring a durable steel body, the KOWOOD Tongue and Groove Set offers balanced craftsmanship with its alloy blade. It also offers a cool anti-kickback design that ensures a safe installation. This unit is easy to carry and store with the included wooden case.
- This set comes with a handy wood case
- It has a nice anti-kickback design
- You can easily adjust it when necessary
- It’s not a great choice for softer wood
- The joint is not as tight as it should be
Freud Adjustable Tongue & Groove Bit Set – Easiest to Adjust Tongue and Groove Bit Set
This adjustable bit set is perfect for creating tongue and groove joints that fit perfectly. Freud’s Adjustable Tongue and Groove Bit Set is equipped with a tongue cutter that has opposing shear angles, which ensures a flawless finish. You can adjust these bits to 0.002-inch increments.
The Freud Bit Set is a good choice for a project like a Shaker-style cabinet door. This bit set cuts any type of softwood, hardwood, plywood, and all composition materials. Plus, they are designed to be used with a table-mounted portable router.
- These bits work with a table-mounted router
- It can cut a wide variety of materials
- They are easy to adjust
- The balance on the tongue bit is a little off
- The instructions aren’t very good
Yonico 2 Bit Tongue and Groove Router Bit Set – Most Versatile Bit Set
The perfect way to create even and flat joints for tabletops, panels, wainscoting, and flooring. The Yonico 2 Bit Tongue and Groove Router Bit Set cuts two mating profiles that make it easy to create a woodworking joint. Using a simple setup, this bit set
Easily make multiple passes that increase the cutting depth by 1/8-inch. With each pass of the Yonico 2 Bit Tongue and Groove Router Bit Set should be used in the stability of a table that will help to keep the joint perfectly square. These router bits work for many types of projects and give you the best results with solid wood.
Strength and Durability
Ideal for creating tongue and groove joints, the Yonico Bit Set is a great choice for rail and stile and flooring projects. Featuring premium carbide blades, this set gives you a long-lasting sharper edge. Plus, it features induction brazing to give you the most durability and strength.
- You can use these bits on a lot of different projects
- The set features a long-lasting sharp edge
- These bits are strong and durable
- It has a lot of vibrations
- The tongue or double blade bit isn’t balanced
Yakamoz Tongue and Groove Router Bit Set – Best Heat-Resistant Bit Set
Perfect for woodworking, the Yakamoz Tongue and Groove Router Bit Set features industrial quality bit that features a heat-resistant Teflon coating. Equipped with hook and shear angles, this bit set includes a cutter that slices smoothly into the material and produces clean and splinter-free cuts.
The Yakamoz Tongue and Groove Router Bit Set include bearings that are totally lubricated and enclosed. Plus, the heat-resistant coating prevents a build-up of pitch, resin, and sawdust. The included blade is made of industrial-grade micro-grain carbide and its body is made of solid hardened steel.
- This is an industrial-grade product
- The bearings are totally enclosed
- It has a heat-resistant coating that keeps out sawdust
- They don’t have enough a tight enough fit
- It’s difficult to setup
SILIVN Tongue and Groove Set – Best DIYer Tongue and Groove Set
This woodworking tool is perfect for DIY projects and home renovations. With three adjustable teeth, the SILIVN Tongue and Groove Set includes a T-shape wood milling cutter and can be used to make face frames for tabletops, panels, wainscoting, and flooring. Creating a clean-cut, this router bit set creates clean cuts so that everything will fit together perfectly.
Easy to Use
A great choice for a woodworking enthusiast, the SILIVN Tongue and Groove Set is simple to operate. Durable and long-lasting, this router bit set will help you save energy and time and is a super handy tool to own.
This set features hardened and solid steel bodies that come with an anti-kickback design. The SILIVN Tongue and Groove Set has a Teflon coating that is heat-resistant. It is also suitable for plywood panels, particle boards, and woods, but not non-wood materials.
- This is a durable and long-lasting product
- It has an anti-kickback design
- It comes with a heat-resistant coating
- The tongue and groove were cut too loosely and don’t fit as snugly as they should
- The cutting tips are not the same width and aren’t precisely aligned
SellyOak Tongue and Groove Router Bit Set – Best Carbide Alloy Bit Set
Made out of carbide alloy, the SellyOak Tongue and Groove Router Bit Set are a great option for making shelves, drawers, and doors. With three adjustable teeth, this bit set has a blade made with industrial-grade micro grain carbide.
Dependable and Smooth
The cutter features a mirror-like finish while the set has a convenient anti-kickback design that offers safe installation. This tongue and groove set is dependable and works for any woodworking project. Ideal for cutting wood boxes and cabinets, window frames, wooden doors, plywood, particleboard, solid wood, and wood, this bit set slices smoothly into stock giving you smooth and clean woodwork.
- It produces clean and smooth cuts
- The set has a handy anti-kickback feature
- It can be used for a variety of projects
- The single blade that makes the groove is thicker than the two blades that make the tongue, so they don’t create a tight fit
- It doesn’t work well in creating 90-degree angles
Jooyle Router Bit Set – Best Anti-Kickback Bit Set
Featuring solid hardened steel bodies, the Jooyle Router Bit Set has an anti-kickback feature and industrial quality. Capable of cutting hardwood, softwood, panels, plywood, particleboard, and wood, this bit set helps to make beautiful handmade furniture. Super versatile, this bit set allows you to adjust the bit height on different board thicknesses.
The included shear angles and high hooks allow the cutters to smoothly slice into stock and reduce added processing. The Jooyle Router Bit Set gives you a finished product that is smooth and splinter-free both inside and out.
- This set produces smooth materials
- It’s versatile and can be used on several types of materials
- It comes with an anti-kickback feature
- The spindle can bend on the finger joint cutter
- It has a lot of vibrations
Yonico Flooring Router Bit Set – Best Bit Set for Flooring
Cutting perfectly fitting tongue and groove joints, the Yonico Flooring Router Bit Set is perfect for Wainscot paneling and flooring. It also features induction brazing for maximum durability and strength.
Producing tongue and groove joints that provide an extra gluing surface, the Yonico Flooring Router Bit Set creates extra-strong joints. These industrial quality bits include enclosed ball bearings along with premium carbide blades that have a sharp and long-lasting edge. Plus, this bit set comes with a solid wood storage case.
- This set comes with a wood storage case
- They are industrial quality and long-lasting
- These bits are a great choice when working on flooring
- The tongue cutter is a little shorter and leaves a 1/16-inch lip on the edge that you have to cut off after routing
- The bearings are pretty useless
SellyOak Tongue and Groove Router Bit Tool Set – Best Durable Bit Set
Ideal for veining wood projects, grooving, trimming, edging, and woodworking, the SellyOak Tongue and Groove Router Bit Tool Set works well with plywood compact panels, particleboard, solid wood, and woods. Included in this set are a 45-degree lock miter router bit and a 1/4-inch shank router bit set that can help you accomplish a wide variety of projects.
Built to Last
This bit set is made out of carbide alloy and is built to last. The SellyOak Tongue and Groove Router Bit Tool Set is a great choice for walls, outdoor frames, bedroom shelves, floor tables, office cabinets, and bathroom and kitchen doors.
- These bits are good for a variety of projects
- This is a durable set that will last you years
- This is a good set for woodworking
- It doesn’t clear 3/4” boards when making the tongue
- You can’t tighten the bit enough to use it
SILIVN Tongue and Groove Router Bit Tool Set – Best Home Improvement Project Bit Set
Great for DIYers and home improvement projects, the SILIVN Tongue and Groove Router Bit Tool Set will help with wood flooring projects and creating tongue and groove joints. This set will also allow you to make lock joints for wood floors as well as tongue and groove joints. All the joints this set creates offer a larger surface area with better resistance.
The SILIVN Tongue and Groove Router Bit Tool Set can help you make outdoor frames, flooring, cabinet doors, panels, drawers, and doors. The cutters are mounted onto a standard 1/2 -inch shank, and these industrial quality bits also include micro-grain tungsten carbide tips that are razor sharp and can be resharpened.
- You can resharpen the tips on these bits
- They are very versatile and durable
- They are a great choice for beginners or DIYers
- The bearings weren’t tight
- The bits don’t come with a setup device
FivePears Tongue and Groove Router Bit Set – Best Tongue and Groove Router Bit Set for Particleboard
Perfect for woods, plywood, and particleboard, the FivePears Tongue and Groove Router Bit Set is industrial quality with an anti-kickback feature. This set includes a heat-resistant Teflon coating and makes cuts that are smooth and splinter-free.
Versatile and Safe
The FivePears Tongue and Groove Router Bit Set feature bearings that are lubricated and enclosed while the baked-on coating prevents a build-up of resin and sawdust. This set is a great choice for woodworking projects, panel doors, wainscot paneling, wood floors, and handmaking a drawer.
- You can use this set on a lot of different materials and projects
- The set has a heat-resistant coating
- It has an anti-kickback feature
- They don’t sit all the way down to the marked line in a router
- It doesn’t have the tightest fit
KOWOOD Pro Tongue and Groove Set – Best Precision Bit Set
Adjustable and precise, the KOWOOD Pro Tongue and Groove Set is easy and comfortable to use. Created to lower or raise the cutter to work with the corresponding groove or tongue, this set works as a reversible glue joint. The set is Carbide tipped and you can adjust the gap in the groove with the fine adjustment shims.
Versatile and Precise
Made with a heat treatment process, the KOWOOD Pro Tongue and Groove Set offers maximum durability. This heavy-duty set is precisely machined for accurate grooving and trimming on any type of wood. This set can be used for lots of different projects and is suitable for panels, plywood, particleboard, laminate, and woods.
- This set is easy to adjust and comfortable to use
- You can use it on lots of different projects and materials
- The set is very durable and precise
- The bits work better after you shim it properly
- It vibrates a lot
TLHOME Tongue and Groove Router Bit Set – Best Abrasion-Resistant Bit Set
Durable and strong, the TLHOME Tongue and Groove Router Bit Set is industrial quality and can be used in a lot of different projects. Using high-precision grinding technology, this bit set is heat and high abrasion-resistant. The solid hardened steel bodies have an anti-kickback feature and include bearings that are totally lubricated and enclosed.
Versatile and Easy to Store
A great choice for woodworking and furniture makers, the TLHOME Tongue and Groove Router Bit Set can be used for panel doors, wainscot paneling, and wood flooring. This set is easy to carry and store thanks to the included plastic case.
- The set comes with a handy carrying case
- You can use the set on a lot of different wood projects
- It has an anti-kickback and heat-resistant design
- It is advertised as a ½-inch shank, but it is actually a ¼-inch shank
- You need to make a couple of passes with these bits
Bosch Tongue and Groove Bit – Best Carbide Tip Bit Set
This premium-quality micro-grain carbide tip bit is ground on special CNC equipment to give it an extra-fine finish. Featuring maximum edge and sharpness retention, the Bosch Tongue and Groove Bit perfectly cuts fitted tongue-and-groove joints. You also get incredible durability with the tempered and fully hardened steel shank.
Durable and Versatile
The fully hardened and tempered steel shank provides ultimate durability. The Bosch Tongue and Groove Bit offers precise and fast cuts using a shear angle cutting edge. This is a professional-level bit that can be used in a wide variety of projects from any household projects to woodworking projects.
- The bit has a carbide tip
- It’s very durable and precise
- You can use it on a lot of different projects
- The shank is too short to work on some router tables
- It needs a ½-inch shank for better stability.
Whiteside Router Bit Set – Best Stile and Rail Set
The Whiteside Router Bit Set is a straight stile and rail set for use on a plywood panel. This innovative and high-quality set is made with premium Carbide making them strong and durable.
Precise and Long-Lasting
This long-lasting bit set is precision ground to give it proper balancing at high RPMs. The Whiteside Router Bit Set is an industrial quality set that will last you many years.
- The set is made out of premium materials
- They are durable and strong and will last you awhile
- This is an industrial level set
- They can chip easily
- They have a looser fit than users expected
BAIDETS Tongue and Groove Set – Easiest to Use Bit Set
Equipped with a high-quality alloy blade the BAIDETS Tongue and Groove Set can handle heavy-duty use at the job site. Safe and stable, this set features an anti-kickback feature and can help you finish a wide range of projects. Use this set on wood cabinets, wood window frames, wood door frames, plywood, particleboard, and solid wood.
Easy to Use
Perfect for beginners and professionals, the BAIDETS Tongue and Groove Set include a precise Carbide blade that can cut any type of wood accurately and cleanly. Easy to use, this set will make your everyday woodworking activities a lot simple.
- This set is a good choice for any user skill level
- They are easy to use and very accurate
- It’s a versatile set that works on a lot of projects and materials
- It’s not very good quality
- This is not a set for professionals
ASNOMY Router Bit Set – Best Professional Level Bit Set
High-quality and adjustable, the ASNOMY Router Bit Set allows you to cut efficiently and quickly. This set is a great choice for veining wood, grooving, trimming, edging, and woodworking. Constructed out of high-quality Carbide alloy, this set features anti-recoil and a Teflon coating that is heat-resistant. This durable and strong set also has an anti-rust feature.
Stables and Strong
Providing fewer vibrations and more stability, the ASNOMY Router Bit Set is a professional level set that can be used on panels, plywood, particleboard, and woods.
- The set has an anti-rust and heat-resistant feature
- It’s a stable set with little vibrations
- You can use it for a lot of different projects
- The instructions aren’t very good
- It’s a little difficult to get a consistent edge fit
KINGWANT Tongue and Groove Set – Best Alloy Blade Bit Set
Featuring balanced craftsmanship along with an alloy blade, the KINGWANT Tongue and Groove Set is capable of withstanding heavy-duty use. These long-lasting bits can easily accomplish a variety of projects including walls, outdoor frames, bedroom shelves, flooring tables, office cabinets, and bathroom and kitchen doors. This set is also easy to carry and store making them a great choice for use on the job site.
Safe and Stable
Stable and safe to use, the KINGWANT Tongue and Groove Set offer fewer vibrations during use, so they are safe to use around the house or your office. This set works well with panels, plywood, particleboard, and woods.
- You get very little vibrations with this set
- They are easy to take with you to work
- You can use this set on a lot of different wood projects
- With this set, you have to work slowly and not rush
- The edges could be sharper.
ZokMok Tongue and Groove Set – Best Lightweight Bit Set
Sharp and durable, the ZokMok Tongue and Groove Set features C3 micro-grain tungsten carbide blades along with high-quality alloy steel bodies. Easy to operate and lightweight, this set allows you to form a joint quickly. Plus, this set also offers an anti-kickback feature for safe installation.
This dependable set is ideal for any woodworking project including wood cabinets, window frames, and wood doors. The ZokMok Tongue and Groove Set also includes a Teflon coating that is heat-resistant.
- It’s a versatile set that works well with lots of woodworking projects
- The set is lightweight and easy to use
- It’s a heat-resistant set that has an anti-kickback feature
- The set isn’t very accurate
- The bits leave gaps
Considerations When Choosing Tongue and Groove Router Bits
The shank is the solid and round part of the router bit that goes into the router’s collet. Typically, you will find either a ¼ or ½-inch shank. Routers will usually have collets that you can interchange allowing either size shank to fit, but there are some routers that will only use the ¼ inch shank, so double-check to make sure you have the right-sized shanks.
If you do have a choice between the two sizes, go for the ½-inch shank since they are more stable and vibrate less. They will also provide a smoother cut and last longer. Usually, router bits are one of these size diameters unless they have really small or really large profiles.
Router Bit Cutting Edges
Usually, you’ll find most router bits will have a cutting edge made of either high-speed steel or carbide tips that are fused to the bit. A profile bit typically equipped with durable carbide cutters that will hold their edge up to 25 times longer than steel, but they are also more brittle. Just make sure that you handle and store a carbide-tip bit carefully to prevent chipping.
When you choose router bits, always look for high-quality router bits that have carbide cutters, which feature a fine edge that is also thick enough to last through a few regrindings. Also, look for a bit that has an anti-kickback feature. These bits typically have a high body mass that will stop the bits from catching on to the material. Bits with a higher body mass will also stay sharper longer.
- When you choose a bit, make sure the one you choose matches the project you will be working on.
- When you put together a starter set, just buy a couple of straight bits along with a chamfer bit, an ogee bit, and a few round-over bits. You also should get a rabbeting bit that includes an interchangeable bearing that works with different sizes.
- It’s more convenient and economical to purchase a whole set and avoid buying bits individually.
How do you sharpen router bits?
While it may seem easy to sharpen router bits, it can be best to sharpen your tools using a sharpening service company that will have all the necessary tools to give your bit a professional sharpening. If you have any router bits that are hard to sharpen, it may be easier to buy new ones since sharpening costs about half the price of buying new router bits.
How long will a router bit last?
It all depends. Some users reported using their bits for years, while others have reported using them for only a few hours before they have become dull. The lifespan of a router bit really depends on the wood type, the speed, and the router bit brand you are using. You may also want to look up ways to stop your router bits from becoming dull easily.
Whether you need tongue and groove router bits for flooring, paneling, or another type of project, it’s important that you choose bits that are made out of durable material, are of good value, and have the features you need for your woodworking projects. There are plenty of tongue and groove router bit sets on the market, so if you take your time and do your research, you should have no problem finding tongue and groove router bits that work well for your needs.